CREO Arts & Dance Conservatory will hold auditions for performing opportunities in the 2022-2023 season. Please review the audition schedule and the information pertaining to each opportunity before completing the audition form.
Audition Forms are due Wednesday March 9
Video Submissions are due Friday, March 11
CREO has made the decision not to hold a live audition at the studio this year. In order to be considered for additional performance opportunities such as Small Groups/Solos, Nutcracker, Faith-Based Companies, and the Conservatory Program tracks in the 2022-23 school year dancers should take the following steps!
Audition Form: All dancers must complete the audition form online by March 9th (click the link above)
30 Seconds of Original Choreography: Video Audition – Dancers should choreograph and film themselves performing 30 seconds of original choreography and a signature move! A signature move could be an inventive turn, acro skill, a skill you have worked hard on achieving this year, or something that demonstrates who you are! We invite you to reach out to Rebecca at email@example.com to book studio space to practice or film your dance.
Friday March 11th 7:15-8:30pm: Flight Audition – Dancers interested in auditioning for Flight should attend this session to learn choreography with Ms. Kelsey to perform during the Saturday 1:00-2:00 call-back portion of the audition (see below).
Saturday March 12th 9:00-10:30am: CCB Ensemble Audition – Dancers auditioning for the CCB performing ensemble should attend this ballet class. Please wear a bun, a black leotard, pink tights, ballet shoes and bring your pointe shoes. CCB Ensemble auditionees will take a break during the ballet portion of the audition 10:30-11:00 before continuing with Jazz choreography for audition opportunities.
Saturday March 12th 10:30-2:00 – All dancers wishing to audition for performance opportunities in the 2022-2023 dance year should attend the Saturday portion of the audition which will include the following portions
– A ballet warm-up
– Learn & perform jazz choreography in small groups for a panel of CREO instructors
– 1:00pm – Dancers Grades 3-5 (entering grades 4-6 for the 2022-2023 school year) will be dismissed.
– All other dancers will stay for callbacks 1:00-2:00pm (including Flight choreography learned on Friday.)
Click the links in the table below to learn more about each 2022-2023 performing opportunity below. Please read each section carefully before filling out the audition form in order to fully review student and parent obligations involved with each opportunity.
FAITH-BASED DANCE COMPANIES: FOOTPRINTS, ROOTS, & VERVE
Dancers Grades 3+ Eligible to Audition
Faith-Based Companies 2022-23 Season
The 2022-2023 faith-based company season is a year-round experience of fellowship and service with other dancers exploring together what it means to express their faith through dance and serve others with a joyful heart. This year ALL faith-based companies will primarily release during a regular weekly class time.
- Faith Builder Summer Workshop
- Click here to Register
- Cost: $73
- Strongly recommended for all companies
- Weekly Faith-Based Company Class Fall-Spring 2022-23
- Exact Scheduling TBA with release of the 2022-2023 Fall Schedule
- As the schedule allows dancers should take a technique class on the same day as their company class.
- Tuition: Regular fall 2022-23 tuition rate for an hour-long class.
- Outside-Rehearsals: If outside rehearsals are needed to prepare a piece for performance CREO will schedule those rehearsals within the following time frames
- Wednesday evening
- Friday evening
- Saturday afternoon
- CREO will do our best not to schedule rehearsals conflicting with other CREO committments
Footprints is an opportunity for young dancers to “step in” to Christ-centered expression through dance. Some dancers may consider Footprints a stepping-stone towards The DanceVERVE. Others may decide that this group is a better option because of the reduced time commitment requirements. Dancers participate in devotional activities in rehearsals and techniques of ballet, contemporary, improvisation, and worship!
Roots is an opportunity for dancers to deepen their understanding of Christ-Centered expression through dance. Just as roots of a tree spread and anchor the body, the work of this company spreads and anchors the body of Christ. Dancers participate in devotional activities in rehearsals and perform a variety of dance styles from classical ballet, contemporary, to hip-hop.
CREO DanceVERVE: Twin Cities
Verve refers to a lively spirit animating artistic composition or performance. It is a word that represents great energy and vitality. The CREO DanceVERVE: Twin Cities is a student company that performs works choreographed by the CREO director and staff. These works explore themes of Christian faith and worship. Our mission is to give young people an opportunity to grow in faith and to express what they have learned through art & dance. Because we were created by God in excellence we, encourage our artists to create their work in excellence. “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” Colossians 3:23
Elevate Small Groups & Solos
ELEVATE SMALL GROUPS & SOLOS
Dancers Grades 3+ Eligible to Audition
Audition for the opportunity to represent CREO Arts & Dance Conservatory in the Friday Small Groups/Solo Adjudication of Cathedral Dance Festival! Dancers may be selected to compose their own choreography or learn a piece from a CREO instructor in the form of a solo, duet, trio, quartet or quintet.
Elevate dances will also perform in a separate performance the weekend of our June Recital for Small Group/Solo dances.
- Entering Grade 4+ for 2022-2023
- Commitment to your Elevate group’s rehearsal schedule designed around your availability (see general schedule requirements below)
- Availability for the All-Elevate Workshop & Showing dates
- Availability for Cathedral Dance Festival – Late April/Early May 2023
- Perform in CREO’s Elevate Recital
Cost to Participate: Click Here to Open the 22-23 Elevate Pricing Guide
Rehearsal Schedule Requirements
- Instructor Choreography Requirements
- 4 summer hour-long rehearsals with a CREO instructor
- 3 fall-spring half-hour rehearsals with a CREO instructor
- Monthly studio rentals to upkeep your piece fall-spring
- Student Choreography Requirements
- 2 summer hour-long sessions with a CREO instructor
- 4 summer hour-long studio rentals
- 3 fall-spring half-hour rehearsals with a CREO instructor
- Monthly studio rentals to work on the piece on your own
- Thursday, August 18th – All-Elevate Summer Showing
- Friday-Saturday January 20-21 – All-Elevate Winter Workshop
- Friday-Saturday April 29-30 – All-Elevate Pre-Cathedral Showing
- Volunteering: Volunteers play a vital role in any CREO performance event. We would like to ask particular help with recital weekend operations from families whose dancers have committed to small group/solo pieces.
- Rehearsal Scheduling & Attendance: It is the parents’ responsibility to ensure their child’s dance is well prepared – including, (as necessary) the scheduling of any additional studio time or private rehearsals with an instructor and attendance at all monthly brush-up workshops!
- Costume & Prop Preparation & Transportation: Parents are responsible to ensure their dancer has secured a costume and hair piece either through the CREO Costume Room or Costume Exchange with another student and that any props for their dancer’s piece are brought to the festival.
CREO's The Nutcracker
CREO presents The Nutcracker
Dancers Grades 3+ Eligible to Audition
Including jazz, hip-hop, ballet, and contemporary roles, CREO is thrilled to announce the Minnetonka Nutcracker production. We’ll ring in the holiday season with this classic tale presented in a new way, featuring all styles of dance.
For over 130 years the tradition of the Nutcracker has inspired dancers, musicians and artists to evolve the beloved musical themes from their classical origins to jazz and pop variations. This production is an opportunity for our dancers to step into this timeless tradition and become original innovators in a work of this kind in our local area. At CREO we value all genres of dance and the dancers who dance them. It’s important to us to create shows in which every dancer whether a hip-hopper or a pointe dancer has something to offer.
Performance Date: December 7-10 (subject to change based on theater availability.)
Required for Conservatory ensemble dancers (Flight, TEAM Hip-Hop, & CCB Ensemble)
Cost to Participate: $250
Cost to Participate if offered the role of a Fairy: $275 – Dancers will be notified with their audition result of they are cast in a role which would require the higher tuition rate
- Dancers chosen for lead roles will be scheduled to rehearse their pieces over the summer.
- All other dancers will receive their casting in the fall and will rehearse during the Fall of 2022.
- Full Cast Rehearsals will take place in the month of (November) leading up to the performance date. On these dates attendance is mandatory. Full cast rehearsal dates will be announced in the Fall of 2022.
Volunteering: A Sign-Up Genius will be sent to you in October 2022 to sign-up for volunteering. We ask that each family volunteer for at least 1 position to ensure that all positions are covered. Families who cannot volunteer will owe an activity fee.
Dancers Level 5A-7 Eligible to Audition
Flight is the conservatory class dedicated to building artists that are strong in multiple styles of dance and ready to explore choreography which blends together a broad range of movement vocabulary, techniques, and artistic expression. Flight dancers demonstrate extreme flexibility, agility, strength, performative expression & the ability to pick up choreography quickly. Class time is dedicated to building avant-garde choreography and expanding the dancer’s expression on stage.
A regimen including a variety of technique classes and outside opportunities (summer intensives, conventions, master classes) enriches the Flight dancer’s “toolbox” of kinesthetic knowledge to draw upon.
- Summer Requirement
- Meet the Accelerated Program Summer Class Requirement
- Attend the CREO Dance Blitz
- 6 punchcard acro classes
- Dance-Year Class Requirement – Dancers are required to take 4 days of dance per week including
- Monday Ballet
- Saturday Ballet Technique
- One elective (such as Tuesday Contemporary or Jazz)
- At least 1 semester of Acro
- Performance Requirement
- CREO’s The Nutcracker – December 7-10th
- Cathedral Dance Festival – Late April/Early May
- CREO Spring Recital
- Demonstrate Outstanding Attendance in ALL Classes
- No absences (in any CREO class) allowed in the 2 weeks before Cathedral or Recital
- Dancers are expected to attend all full cast rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and arrive on time for performances they are involved in.
- Excellent Conduct & Leadership
- Demonstrate respect for your teammates, your instructor, and the CREO director by using class and rehearsal time wisely, focusing your attention on class goals, and leading by example in an approach of positivity to dancers studio-wide.
- Be willing to try new things, fall, fail, stretch, and grow.
Flight’s Extra Curricular Policy
As ambassadors of the school and leaders among the CREO community, Flight dancers are expected to hold impeccable attendance in all CREO classes in order to build teamwork among their classmates and progress with class material. Therefore, dancers involved in on-going extra curricular such as competitive dance team or a long-term sport should reconsider auditioning for Flight. Pending a conversation with the school principal or director, dancers may be allowed to participate short term engagements outside of Flight such as performance dance team.
CREO Classical Ballet
CREO CLASSICAL BALLET PROGRAM
Pointe & Pre-Pointe Dancers Eligible to Audition
CREO’s conservatory track for the dancer seeking to achieve technical and artistic excellence in Ballet and Pointe. Lead by CREO’s Ballet Principal Alejandra Iannone, this comprehensive training program equips today’s young dancer with artistry and athleticism expected of classical ballet artists in the 21st century.
After our pilot year of the program, for the 2022-2023 dance year we are making the following distinctions to what CREO considers “CCB”
CCB Pathway, CCB Program & the CCB Performing Ensemble
CCB is about the regimen that dancers take on to dedicate concentrated study in pursuit of excellence in ballet. CCB is also about a path to pointe study and performance en pointe.
The CCB Pathway is a recommendation for young dancers (Level 1-3) who show potential for excellence in ballet to begin a regimen of at least 2 days/week of ballet. To consider this type of regimen as early as 7-8 years old is essential for pointe readiness in the future.
The CCB Program includes all pointe dancers. These dancers follow the regimen outlined below to maintain their eligibility to continue pointe study. Going forward pointe is a condition of acceptance to the CCB Program and the CCB Ensemble (performing group(s)).
The CCB Ensemble includes dancers accepted by audition to prepare work for performance. Dancers have at least begun pointe study and demonstrate readiness to integrate the challenging work of CREO’s ballet curriculum into choreography. The CCB Ensemble may including several groups of dancers preparing separate choreography, en flat or en pointe, based on their level of pointe experience.
CCB Program Regimen
- 2 days/week of Ballet year-round for Levels 1-3 (Pathway)
- 3 days/week of Ballet year-round for Levels 4-7 (CCB Program & Ensemble)
- 2 days/week of Pointe OR at least 1 day/week of Pointe-Prep/Pre-Pointe
- CCB Ensemble must attend the Ensemble class & rehearsal periods as part of their 3 days/week schedule.
- Dancers must be evaluated and approved for the program prior to registering.
Invitational & TEAM Hip-Hop
CONSERVATORY HIP-HOP: INVITATIONAL, PRE-TEAM, & TEAM
Audition will take place over the summer – see details below.
CREO’s Conservatory track for experienced hip-hop dancers includes Hip-Hop Invitational, Pre-TEAM, and TEAM Hip-Hop. This track emphasizes high physicality, athleticism, and individual expression through the hallmarks of contemporary hip-hop movement including popping, locking, tutting, breaking, rhythm, groove, isolation, groundedness, and acrobatic skills. Dancers are accepted through the summer Hip-Hop Skill Builder Audition Camp.
IMPORTANT: Dancers interested in TEAM Hip-Hop will audition in person over the summer (details below) and do not need to complete an audition form or submit audition videos. We hope this information is helpful for those who would like to look ahead to this opportunity!
Summer Hip-Hop Skill Builder & Audition Workshop
- Dates: Monday & Tuesdays: June 20, 21, July 18, 19, & August 1, 2
- Time: 7:00-9:00pm
- Audition Date: August 2
- The expectation is that dancers will attend all of the workshop dates to train consistently over the course of the summer.
Hip-Hop Invitational is the environment for intermediate hip-hop dancers to progress their hip-hop training beyond the scope of a recreational class. Dancers build their skill for isolation, groove, personal expression and unified ensemble-work. Hip-Hop Invitational can be considered a stepping stone towards continued concentrated hip-hop study through CREO’s Hip-Hop conservatory track to TEAM Hip-Hop.
Pre-TEAM is the (NEW) step between Hip-Hop Invitational and TEAM dedicated to prepare dancers for the physical rigor expected in TEAM Hip-Hop. Dancers will build strength, endurance, acrobatic skill and work toward mastery of industry-style jazz turns & leaps. While Pre-TEAM is designed to prepare dancers for Participation in Pre-TEAM does not necessarily guarantee acceptance to TEAM Hip-Hop.
TEAM Hip-Hop is the conservatory class where advanced hip-hop dancers begin to integrate even greater physicality and athleticism, such as acrobatic skills and complex group lifts, into ensemble choreography grounded in hip-hop movement vocabulary and aesthetic. Choreography may also draw on influences from industry-style jazz turns and leaps. Dancers accepted to TEAM Hip-Hop are typically in 8-12th grade.
- The Invitational/ Pre-TEAM/ TEAM Hip-Hop class according to your placement
- An additional Hip-Hop or Jazz class
- An acro class throughout the year
- Performances 2021-2022
- Cathedral Dance Festival – Late April/Early May 2022
- CREO Recital – Team Hip-Hop traditionally performs in multiple CREO recitals