Vitality in Faith Based Performance
What is DanceVERVE: Twin Cities
- The CREO DanceVERVE: Twin Cities is a non-denominational, Christ focused, youth performance company which uses dance performance for worship, prayer, and evangelism. “VERVE” refers to a special ability and lively spirit animating artistic composition or performance. It is a word that represents great energy and vitality.
- Dancers grades 7-12 perform a wide variety of dance styles from classical ballet to hip-hop.
CREO’s three faith-based youth dance companies, Footprints, Roots, and The CREO DanceVERVE: Twin Cities are one in mission. Our mission is to give young people an opportunity to grow in faith and to express what they have learned through art & dance. Because we were created by God in excellence we, encourage our artists to create their work in excellence. “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” Colossians 3:23
Christa Anderson-Hill is the creator and choreographer of The Companion: Ruth & Naomi’s Story, Esther: For Such a Time as This, A New Song, Enticed, The Tales and Tails of Folks and Fairies, The Bridegroom, and Wade Children
Information for Dancers
Auditions for CREO’s Faith-Based Companies are closed for the 2019-2020 season! We look forward to another amazing year of dancing to come! Looking forward to auditioning for the following season? Here is some information regarding what we look for in our VERVE company members!
Dancers may be accepted to the company either as a full company member or as an apprentice. VERVE takes into consideration, but is not solely dependent on:
- Dedication: The CREO DanceVERVE is a considerable commitment in terms of time and focus. VERVE company members are deeply invested in their personal growth as a dancer and in the growth of the VERVE community. Dancers are expected to demonstrate respect, maturity, and a dedicated spirit of participation in all rehearsals, performances, and company events.
- Ability: The CREO DanceVERVE creates dance work that the requires a degree of proficiency in technical genres including ballet, contemporary, jazz, and hip hop. Additionally, the Company relies on improvisation in the choreographic process.
- Showmanship: Dancers in the company are expected to share in the camaraderie of each other’s presence and support. The atmosphere in and around rehearsals should be one of inclusion, respect, and kindness. Consideration will be given to dancers who have demonstrated positive contribution to their dance class communities in these ways.
- Seniority: Dancers who have displayed a dedication to dance through many years of study may be prioritized for company placement. Dancers participating in VERVE for the first time are traditionally cast as apprentices*
- Age: The CREO DanceVERVE is primarily made up of dancers grades 7+.
Dancers selected to the CREO DanceVERVE for the first time will participate as apprentices. Apprentices have the opportunity to shadow company members as they rehearse and step in when members cannot perform. Every apprentice will dance in at least 1 show during the performance season. Apprentices who demonstrate exemplary attendance, skill, commitment, and attitude have the opportunity to advance to full company members in subsequent seasons.
PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES 2019-2020
Members selected for the 2019-20 DanceVERVE company season will focus on developing a brand new production called, The Nativity. The epic story will unfold through the drama of dance; featuring ballet, modern, and hip-hop dance styles. The story of The Lamb of God will be told through the perspective of a little lamb traveling to Bethlehem with the shepherds and the angels.
*At this time CREO is looking to cast 10-12 dancers for The Nativity.
- July 22-26 – NATIVITY INTENSIVE 2:30-6:00pm
- Includes Company Class
- July 29-Aug 2 – NATIVITY INTENSIVE 2:30-6:00pm
- Includes Company Class
- Wednesday Brush-ups following Level 4-7 Blitz
- Brush-ups most Saturdays September – November
- Performances in December – Venue & Dates TBA
Nativity Cost to Participate: $200
- Summer Nativity Intensive & Corresponding Open Company classes
- Brush-ups during the blitz
- Brush-ups throughout the fall
- Show Promotion & other associated administrative tasks
Cost to Participate in The Nativity: $200
Church Performances – “On Call” Opportunities
While CREO’s faith-based companies will primarily focus on building The Nativity, CREO may also accept a limited number of performances at churches throughout the West Metro. Even if dancers are unable to commit to participating in The Nativity, we invite you to remain involved as “on-call” members of the companies and will be contacted as performances opportunities arise. Learn more about each company by clicking the links below.
Cost to Participate in VERVE as an “on-call” dancer: $50/performance
PROJECT DANCE: New York City – VERVE Dancers Grade 9+
Members of the CREO DanceVERVE also have the opportunity to participate in Project Dance: New York City, a faith-directed festival that CREO attends bi-annually to give students a taste for one of the most forward-moving cities for artists in the world.
In New York dancers will have the opportunity to perform in Times Square, take master classes at world-renowned dance centers, and attend professional performances.
*At this time the dates & cost to participate in Project Dance: New York are unknown.
- Entering 9th grade or older
- CREO DanceVERVE members or apprentices
APPLICATION: Due Wednesday March 6
Dancers must express why they would like to perform at Project Dance in response to a few short prompts.
INTERVIEW: Post-Audition Follow-Up
Applicants will follow-up their application and audition with an interview with Ms. Christa to discuss their intentions and interest in the Project Dance experience. Interviews will be scheduled in the weeks following the audition.
What does Project Dance Involve?
Project Dance® is a movement of dancers seeking to positively impact culture through artistic integrity. Our desire is to see every dancer nurtured to their fullest human potential for their own well being and their contribution to the world.
- No more than 10 students will be selected
- Mid December: 2-3 two-hour long rehearsals
- Brush-ups throughout the Spring
- Elevate Youth Dance Festival Gala
- Project Dance: New York
- (possible) Cathedral Dance Festival
- (possible) CREO Recital