CREO Arts & Dance Conservatory will hold auditions for the following performing opportunities and school companies. Please review the audition schedule and the expectations of time and financial commitment pertaining to each opportunity before completing the audition form.
Audition Forms were due Wednesday, March 6th – Paper copies are available at the studio!
Friday, March 8 – Original Choreography & Signature Move
4:00-5:30 – Entering Grade 9+
5:00-7:00 – Entering Grade 6-8
6:30-8:00 – Entering Grade 4-5
*dancers may leave once they have performed
- Original Choreography: Students present 30 seconds of original choreography demonstrating excellence in creativity, application of technique, and performance.
- Signature Move: A signature move could be an inventive turn, leap, inversion, acro skill, or a skill you have worked hard on achieving this year, a “trick” that demonstrates who you are!
Saturday, March 9 – Technique, Improvisation, Jazz & Contemporary Choreography
*The timed schedule is approximate – dancers should be prepared to stay 10:30-3:00 for the full audition!
- 10:15 – Dancer Check-in
- 10:30 – Ballet Technique Assessment
- 11:00 – Learn & Perform jazz & contemporary choreography taught by instructors
- 12:00 – Improvisation component may be included
- 3:00 – Dancers dismissed
What to Wear
- Black leotard, pink tights, black leggings, jazz shoes, turners, ballet shoes
- TEAM Hip-Hop-Only candidates should wear solid colored dance attire and jazz shoes.
- Pulled back in a stylized bun for ballet warm-up or ponytail for TEAM Hip-Hop-Only candidates. A “signature style” may help you stand out in the crowd!
What to Bring:
- Water Bottle
- Music device for rehearsing outside the audition room
- Bag lunch (Saturday only)
- A positive & supportive spirit to encourage one another!
- Dancers will receive an audition number upon arrival.
Click the links in the table below to learn more about each 2019-2020 performing opportunity below. Please read each section carefully before filling out the audition form in order to fully review student and parent obligations involved with each opportunity.
In 2019-2020 Footprints, Roots, & The CREO DanceVERVE will come to gather to develop a brand new production called, The Nativity. The story of the birth of the Lamb of God will be told through the perspective of a little lamb traveling to Bethlehem with the shepherds and angels.
*Rehearsal details remain subject to change
- July 22-26 – NATIVITY SUMMER INTENSIVE 2:30-6:00
July 29-Aug 2 – NATIVITY SUMMER INTENSIVE 2:30-6:00
- Wednesday Aug 7 – Brush-up after Level 4-7 Ballet/Contemporary Blitz
Wednesday Aug 21 – Brush-up after Level 4-7 Jazz Blitz
- Brush-ups most Saturdays September-November
- Performances in December – Venue & Dates TBA
Cost to Participate in The Nativity: $200
Church Performances- “On Call” Opportunities
While CREO’s faith-based companies will primarily focus on building The Nativity, CREO may also accept a limited number of performances at churches throughout the West Metro. Even if dancers are unable to commit to participating in The Nativity, we invite you to remain involved as “on-call” members of the companies and will be contacted as performances opportunities arise. Learn more about each company by clicking the links below.
- Footprints is an opportunity for young dancers to “step in” to Christ-centered expression through dance. Zephaniah 3:17 says the Lord rejoices over us so we in turn rejoice in walking in the ways of the Lord.
- Roots is an opportunity for dancers to deepen down into greater understanding of Christ-Centered expression through dance. Just as roots of a tree might spread and anchor the body the work of this company project spreads and anchors the body of Christ.
- The CREO DanceVERVE: Twin Cities
- VERVE refers to a lively spirit animating artistic composition or performance. It is a word that represents great energy and vitality. The CREO DanceVERVE: Twin Cities is a student company that performs works choreographed by the CREO director and staff. These works explore themes of Christian faith and worship. Our mission is to give young people an opportunity to grow in faith and to express what they have learned through art & dance. Because we were created by God in excellence we, encourage our artists to create their work in excellence. “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” Colossians 3:23
- Click the link above to learn more about what makes a VERVE dancer.
Project Dance: New York City – CREO DanceVERVE Members Grade 9+
Members of the CREO DanceVERVE also have the opportunity to participate in Project Dance: New York City a faith-directed festival that CREO attends bi-annually to give students a taste for one of the most forward-moving cities for artists in the world. In New York dancers will have the opportunity to perform in Times Square, take master classes at world-renowned dance centers, and attend professional performances.
Project Dance Application
Learn more about Project Dance at their website projectdance.com
*At this time the dates and full cost to participate in Project Dance is unknown, accepted participants will be notified as soon as information is available.
Project Dance® is a movement of dancers seeking to positively impact culture through artistic integrity. Our desire is to see every dancer nurtured to their fullest human potential for their own well being and their contribution to the world.
|Dancers Must be:
APPLICATION: Due at the Audition
Dancers must express why they would like to perform at Project Dance in response to a few short prompts.
INTERVIEW: Post-Audition Follow-Up
Applicants will follow-up their application and audition with an interview with Ms. Christa to discuss their intentions and interest in the Project Dance experience.
Interviews will be scheduled in the weeksfollowing the audition.
The Elevate Youth Dance Festival is a educational and non-competitive dance event for dancers ages 9-18. Dancers grow as artists by participating in master classes and adjudicated performance, sharing dance experiences, and celebrating excellence in dance. Dancers may audition for the opportunity to represent CREO Arts & Dance Conservatory at this event. At the Festival dancers may present either their own choreography or an instructor’s choreography in the form of a solo, duet, trio, or quartet. Availability to attend the festival is required – the exact date will be announced once a venue is secured – please plan on early April!
CREO Arts & Dance will hold auditions for larger roles in the 10th annual production of The Tales & Tails of Folks & Fairies. Dancers accepted for major roles will rehearse over the summer. Dancers who audition in the spring do not need to attend the follow-up audition in the fall.
Flight is an additional class where selected Level 5-7 dancers develop choreography that explores vulnerable performance and mature themes and incorporates extraordinary physical risk in ways that are above and beyond their regular classes. Flight was created to develop a group of dancers to serve as ambassadors of the school, representing the studio at external events, and build up the program that brought them to that point.
TEAM Hip-Hop is an extra opportunity for strong jazz & hip-hop dancers to be a part of an ensemble committed to excellence in these genres. In 2019-2020 TEAM Hip-Hop will consist of two teams based on ability, one for Grade 5+ and one for Grade 8+ dancers.
- Take the TEAM Hip-Hop Class
- Take an additional Hip-Hop or Jazz class
- Take an Acro class throughout the year (at least 2 sessions for Level 4+ dancers)
- Cathedral Dance Festival – May 2020
- Traditionally TEAM Hip-Hop performs in all CREO recitals – Date & Times TBA
MINNETONKA HIGH SCHOOL LETTERING
CREO is pleased to offer advanced dancers an opportunity to earn a varsity letter thorugh Minnetonka High School.
- Entering 10th grade or older
- Level 6-7
- Attend at least 150 hours of class per year
- Demonstrate exemplary attendance in all their classes throughout the year
- Demonstrate exemplary attitude of passion, encouragement, and commitment to your CREO classmates, instructors, and the sport of dance.
- Perform in at least 2 performances outside of Cathedral and Recital
- Choreograph at least 1 original work
- Please connect with the CREO Director regarding opportunities to choreograph work.
Dancers interested in lettering will need to fill out registration forms with the Minnetonka High School Activities Center and follow-up with any additional paperwork and remain in conversation with the CREO director.
Ready to submit your information?